One of our favorite looks this fall is the cape and capelet. They are a great way to add elegant retro vibe to your look this season. They are perfect this time of year and the capes with splits for your arms work the best. They work for all body types and all styles.
How to wear a cape:
- Avoid a costumey look by choosing a neutral or basic color like blue, black, gray, cream, white or brown.
- Capes look best with slim fitted pants or trousers and dresses with tights, boots or booties. If you have an inverted triangle body shape, you can probably pull off a nice pair of boot cut jeans or pants. If you are smaller on top, stick to slim cuts on the bottom.
- Capes look best in a monochromatic look, so match your pants, skirt and tights to the cape. It will give you a striking silhouette.
How to care for your cape or caplet:
- With colder weather here, these garments should be cleaned at least once during the winter season. As outerwear, they are touching public spaces and coat checks, as well as accumulating makeup and hair product residues.
- Before considering a cashmere option, understand that this fabric is very delicate and susceptible to microscopic abrasion. Those with an on-the-go lifestyle may want to consider a wool/cashmere blend for durability.
- If opting for the wizard-style, bear in mind the longer hemline attracts debris from the floor and streets. As such, you may want to go with a darker color to help camouflage this effect in between cleanings.
- Before placing back in storage over the Spring/Summer months, be sure to professionally clean and store in a breathable garment bag for next season.